Truth is a mysterious thing in the Sacred Scriptures. Truth is a mysterious thing in the premodern mind in general. The mysteriousness of truth is particularly prominent in the writings of the Apostle John (fn). Truth is spoken of and employed in ways which are not strictly contained by modern notions of correspondence theory and propositions.
- The Son is full of grace and truth.
- The Son is the way, the truth, and the life.
- The Spirit is truth and is the Spirit of truth.
- The truth liberates men.
- The truth sanctifies men.
- The word of God is truth.
- We are to worship in spirit and truth.
- We are to practice the truth.
- We are to walk in the truth.
- We are to be indwelt by the truth.
- We are to love in deed and in truth.
- We are to be of the truth and not of the world.
*fn. also John the Evangelist (gospel-writer) and John the Presbyterian (elder) 😉